Friday, September 18, 2009

Karmic Recycling

I definitely don’t believe in fate. I don’t watch my footing as I walk down the street and hope I don’t fall off my own destiny tracks. No, I think that’s poppycock, its cock of the poppiest variety (ah thank you Dave Gorman) People sit around pondering the complexities of their horoscope I think must get selective deafness whenever Bono or Bob Geldoff talks...(not a bad survivor adaption I must say) But to suggest that we’re here and every road we walk down and person we meet and traffic light we stop at is somehow predestined and written in the stars does not translate over in Africa were people are just dying all over the gaff. Where’s their destiny? So are they just some dark background to make the niceness of our life truly sparkle?
Relax; I’m not on a “suffering of others” rant. No, no, leave that to the experts who go there and know actual statistics and can click their fingers in that menacing way. I was merely trying to convey my feelings on the bogusness of the whole concept of fate. (Sorry if this offends, but if you believe in fate then you believe you were MEANT to read this right?...ha-ha, got you there!)
So yes, not a fate believer. But lately I’ve been thinking about karmic recycling. (I don’t believe in karma either, too many good things happen to bad people for that) Karmic recycling is a term for when you take something bad and turn it into something good (usually by being selfless somehow along the way)
Example; (sex in city style) you get totally stud up for a date so you let your best friend wear the shoes you bought. Something bad, into something good!
I do think trying to spin the good out of the bad affects your whole attitude and probably means you are more willing to accept the good when it comes, which is probably what most people actually think when they say karma or fate. We have so much more control than we give ourselves credit for.
That’s why it’s easier to believe in fate and god and all that jazz. But I don’t want to get into bashing peoples beliefs. That’s Richard Dawkins job.
I gave a map of Berlin I had to my friends’ daughter as she’s doing a project on the Berlin wall. That was karmic recycling on fast spin! I went to Berlin in June and had the worst time ever! Just awful.
Long story short I went there to meet my dad for the second time ever and he wasn’t very nice, he was very critical of me and all over not very loving at all. We didn’t leave it on good terms and I plan not to see Berlin or him again...but that’s another blog.
(I will say though that I found the general crowd, and that doesn’t mean Germans because a lot of them weren’t, by the crowd I mean the type of “groovy” folk who tend to move to Berlin so they can walk their dogs at two o’clock on a Wednesday afternoon and buy beer at every corner shop and still manage to survive...that is one forgiving city. I found them to be extremely judgemental. One should be able to drink a can of diet coke without four people lecturing you on the corporate and dietary evil that lurks beneath. Especially when those four people are smoking.)
So I got to take a token from my horrible experience- the map- and give it to someone who might be able to use it for a project. That’s just fantastic. It’s like I took some negative energy and put it into a nifty little transformer and turned it into positive energy. Good times.
That’s what poetry and music and all that jazz is too, isn’t it? The nifty transformer. I picture it like one of those old fashioned washing equipments were you pull something between two rollers to de-crease it. We all need one.
Clear out your karma closet today! Give away old clothes, teddy bears you don’t cuddle anymore, and items that hold too many bad memories. Shed karmic pounds fast and easy, and you don’t even have to join a gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment